Sunday, November 28th
The girls and I bundled up and headed out to the hangar
to say our good-byes to Mitch.
The deployment ceremony was on Saturday the 27th.
So it was nice to be out there on Sunday with just Mitch.
The girls and I bundled up and headed out to the hangar
to say our good-byes to Mitch.
The deployment ceremony was on Saturday the 27th.
So it was nice to be out there on Sunday with just Mitch.
The girls found the ear plugs and thought they were pretty cool.
I think Sophie looks like a baby Shrek in this picture!
Ha!
Mitch had to be at the hangar by 0700.
So, big Mitch came to pick him up so we didn't have to get the girls up so early.
Then we picked up big Mitch's wife Swan at their hotel.
The girls enjoyed visiting with her in the car.
She even gave them a candy bar and muffins!
We got to the hangar about 9:30 ish.
And were able to hang out with Mitch until 10:30 ish.
Then they went out to the helicopters to get them started up.
He flew in #101.
With Mike.
It was pretty loud and windy outside.
Lucky we were close to the door so we could go in and out
if we got cold while waiting.
We went out on the sidewalk for a little while.
But start up takes awhile.
And one bird seemed to shut down, so we didn't know how long it would be.
Then we went back in to watch from the window.
It was fun to see them line up on the runway,
and then they all lifted off together.
Mitch & Mike were the last of the birds.
After they took off, they flew over St. Cloud.
And then they did a flyover back over the airport.
Here they are coming back...
It was a long weekend.
Nobody slept real well for 2 nights in the hotel.
And, with all the emotions, it was exhausting.
The girls and I waved goodbye and then took off.
We stopped about 20 minutes from the airport for lunch around 12:00 pm.
Claire was extremely sad and crying when I pulled over.
So, we had a little heart to heart and then ate lunch.
She felt a little better after that.
We stopped at cousin Meghan's on the way home,
which was a nice break in the drive.
A long weekend. So good to be home.
But it will be better when Mitch can be back with us for good!
2 comments:
Was Sophie on the news at the goodbye ceremony? I thought I saw her. Anyway, hope you all are adjusting well. Let me know if I can do anything to help. Brings back memories! Not all sad - lots of proud moments too!
Hang in there Heidi - you are amazing! If you and the girls get away to the cities, let me know and we can catch up. Miss you!
Ann Elliott
Post a Comment